What do the School Governors do?
- Determine, with the Head Teacher and Local Authority, the aims and policies of the school.
- Agree targets and priorities to continually improve the school.
- Monitor progress against the targets.
- Provide a balance of challenge and support to the Head Teacher and the School Leadership Team.
We have a legal responsibility to:
- Ensure that the National Curriculum is followed.
- Approve the school budget.
- Monitor the condition of the school buildings and grounds.
- Ensure that Special Educational Needs are met.
To do our job, we are split into several committees. Each feeds into a full meeting of the Governing Board each term. There are also other committees that meet from time to time to cover a specific task – the setting and review of the Headteacher's performance targets for example.
There are several categories of governor, appointed to represent different bodies that have an interest in the school. These are the Local Authority (LA), Parents, Staff and Community (Co-opted). All governors have equal status, however they were appointed.
Governors and the Clerk generally carry out their duties during evening meetings and have opportunities to attend training sessions and seminars to help them do their job effectively. However, governors are also welcome to visit school during the working day, when appropriate, as well as for class assemblies and performances.
WBPS INSTRUMENT of GOVERNMENTby order of Derbyshire LA on 9 October 2018
LOCAL AUTHORITY GOVERNOR
Whaley Bridge Primary School Governing Board 2020-21
|Clerk to Governors||Karen Bingle|
Ian Bingle – Chair of Governors (Safeguarding Governor)
Connor Lomax – Vice Chair, Chair of Finance Committee
Rebecca Simpson-Hargreaves – Chair of Teaching & Learning Committee (Equalities Governor)
|Local Authority – LA Governor||Anne Winter (LAC & SEN & PP Governor)|
|Staff Governors||Seren Hathway – Headteacher
Fay Walton - Deputy Headteacher
Leanne Sowerby – Finance
Emma Mahon – SENCo
Click on the links below to view full details about our Governors:
We hope you find this information helpful.
Chair of Governors
Please see attached link to the Department for Educations ‘Schools Financial Benchmarking’ website for our school – Schools Financial Benchmarking – WBPS